Accessible Information Standard
All organisations that provide NHS or adult social care must follow the Accessible Information Standard by law. The Accessible Information Standard aims to make sure that disabled people have access to information that they can understand and any communication support they might need.
To help do this we will be asking all patients 'Do you or your carer(s) have any communication/information needs relating to a disability, impairment or sensory loss?'. If yes then we will work to respond to those needs this could be as simple as using a larger font for any letters we send you or organising a Sign Language interpreter for your appointments.
Please don't wait for us to ask if you do have any communication/information needs just let us know. You can speak to reception or use the feedback form here (please include your name, date of birth and brief details of your needs).
How we can help
There are lots of ways to help you access information including, but not limited, to:
- signing up for online access to book appointments, order prescriptions and see your record all online
- using the 'TypeTalk' textphone service simply by dialing a prefix (18002 from a standard phone, 18001 from a textphone) before the number being called. Registration is no longer required.
- we have an induction loop at reception to help those with hearing devices
- our reception team will happily answer or ask questions in writing at the reception desk
- organising an interpreter or advocate
- providing large font leaflets and letters.
- providing braille translations (where possible)
- we are also open to using alternative communication methods such as, for example, email for those with text to speech software
There are also other local services that can help such as:
Local Link: is a one stop shop that provides free and accessible information, advice and advocacy. The service is funded by Tower Hamlets Council to support deaf and disabled people, older people and people with long term health conditions.
Various Locations T: 020 7001 2175 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a suggestion on other ways we can help? Can we improve what we already offer? Please let us know: you can use the feedback form here, complete a Friends and Family Test online or in reception or just tell us next time you are in.