The evidence shows that seeing the same doctor as much as possible leads to better health outcomes for patients, however we know that the pressures that the system is under can sometimes make it difficult to contact the doctor of your choice.
If you are someone who makes frequent visits to the surgery, often seeing different doctors, this does not ensure that you get the best care.
For patients like this we offer something different which will mean that they are much more likely to be able to see the doctor of your choice. This may mean waiting longer before an appointment is available, but on balance, waiting longer and seeing the same doctor is better for your health than being seen sooner but by different doctors.
What we do:
- Flag your record so any queries or requests are sent to your Continuity Clinician
- Arrange regular, proactive follow up if indicated
- Offer a more joined up approach to your care which should reduce the need for you to repeat yourself and explain things again and again.
What we ask from you:
- Please stick to your Continuity Clinician as much as possible
- If you have an urgent issue and your Continuity Clinician is not available please stick to the urgent issue only and pick up everything else when your continuity clinician is available.
If we think an Active Continuity approach is right for you then we will let you know. For some people Active Continuity may continue indefinitely but for others it may be for a shorter period.
General Continuity/Follow Up
For most people, if you have a new issue, then we suggest that you speak to whoever is available. If you have spoken to someone already then we suggest that you follow up about the issue with the same person particularly if tests were requested. It will mean better outcomes for you and is more efficient for us.
If you want to speak to the same clinician about everything you are welcome to do so but it may mean a longer wait.